Landmarks 1946 -1959
A meeting was convened by Tom Jenkins and George Neighbour (Secretary and Chairman of the pre-war Choir) to reform the Treorchy & District Male Voice Choir. Stanley Jones was elected Secretary and it was agreed to place scratch notices at the local cinema and shop-windows to advertise the fact.
A second meeting was held. George Neighbour was elected Chairman, Edward Knapgate elected Vice Chairman and David Jenkins elected Treasurer. It was resolved to visit John Haydn Davies and Tom Jones and invite them to become the Conductor and Accompanist of the new Choir.
A third meeting was held for the forty men present and it was announced that John Haydn Davies and Tom Jones had accepted the invitation. Rehearsals were to start in November. Contributions were later increased from 3d to 6d per week.
The first concert was given in Ramah Chapel, Treorchy, where a silver collection of £12 was raised for Choir funds. Soloists were choristers Cas Powell, Eddie Hughes, Jack Hughes and David Davies. It was the first of five concerts given during the year, including an “away” engagement in the Porthcawl Pavilion.