top of page

Australia & NZ 2009

May 21st - June 15th 2009

The Australia and New Zealand Tour in 2009, organised once again by Andrew Kay and his company HVK Productions, was run with the precision of a Swiss watch. Together the Choir worked tirelessly to ensure this trip, hailed as the “125th Anniversary Tour” was an outstanding success. It was also a groundbreaking tour in that the Choir would venture to new territories as well as revisiting old familiar places.

Perth Concert Hall.jpg
Australia & NZ 2009: Text

On Thursday, May 21st and with an air of immense excitement, choristers boarded the gigantic Singapore Airlines A380, named the Star Alliance. This two-deck state-of-the-art craft – the largest in the world - had some 480 passengers on board for the long journey towards the Antipodes 6,761 miles away. Following a brief visit to Changi Airport in Singapore, the second leg of the flight, taking some four-and-a-half hours, commenced as the Choir headed for Perth in Western Australia.

The arrival at the capital of the Western Australia saw the Choir reuinted with tour organiser Pia di Paulo, and enjoy their first meeting with tour manager Sue Gannon and production manager David Lang at the airport. Following an overnight stay in the Seasons of Perth Hotel choristers settled into their surroundings for the first of many evenings together!

On Saturday a group of choristers appeared on a local radio station, helping to sell a further 128 tickets for the following day’s concert! Many of the choristers enjoyed the opportunity to explore the city once more, paying a visit to the Perth Concert Hall and then down to the harbour and pier on the Swan River for a coffee next to the Choir’s old haunt, The Lucky Shag Bar. Others enjoyed all the sights and sounds of the Swan Bell Tower
and Barrack Square where many of the locals took interest in the bright red tour jackets! At 4.15pm choristers headed for the beautiful resort of Mandurah and the evening venue of the Performing Arts Centre where they undertook a lengthy rehearsal on stage prior to the commencement of the concert at 8pm. All 765 tickets had sold out weeks ago and it was a pleasure to return to such a beautiful area and outstanding auditorium. The performance was a total success and left many of the choristers and audience moved to tears. The sheer scale of excitement for each item performed – particularly that of "Men of Harlech" - was testimony to the incredible success of the evening.

Sunday was a day to remember as choristers not only entertained and musically conquered the audience of Perth Concert Hall once – but twice. It was indeed a phenomenal experience and certainly a highlight of the tour. Dressed in grey trousers, touring shirt and red jackets, choristers met for a tour photograph outside Perth Concert Hall before marching on stage to stand aghast at the sheer enormity of the auditorium, towered over by a spectacular organ. The three-tiered auditorium, with a 1,900 seating capacity, appeared overwhelming.

A mood of nervousness, yet overwhelming determination to succeed, pervaded the ranks of the Choir and the moment they stepped on stage for the 3pm matinee performance they were welcomed by an incredible sight and sound of 1,300 people filling the silence with rapturous applause. From that very first note of the Choir was assured of a performance of note. With the introduction of so many new lighting, including silhouettes of the Choir and colourful arrangements of spots, the theatre-like quality of this production staggered belief.

A two-hour rest saw many of the choristers venture out for food and drinks and at 8pm an even more staggering sight and sound than the one earlier in the day, welcomed them on stage. Over 1,700 people gave the loudest of applauses as they marched into the auditorium and burst into "With A Voice of Singing". As previously, the audience was overjoyed with the Choir’s magnificent rendition of "Men of Harlech" and the loud applause continued through "My Way", "Nessun Dorma" and indeed "We’ll Keep a Welcome". A great concert hall housed a great Choir for a great audience to enjoy.

Australian Tour Music Staff.jpg
Australia & NZ 2009: Text
New Zealand.jpg

Leaving the hotel at 7am on Monday the Choir travelled to Perth International Airport and at 9.30am boarded a Qantas Flight to Adelaide in South Australia. They were whisked off to the Mercure Grosvenor Hotel on North Terrace in the centre of the city and at 6pm gathered in the hotel bar and greeted representatives of the Metropolitan Male Voice Choir of Adelaide. The Choir then began a short pub crawl around the city, starting in the Strathmore Bar before settling into the perfect surroundings of the Dog and Duck Bar for food and drinks until late into the evening.
Tuesday was a free day in Adelaide and many choristers took the opportunity to board one of the trams which took them the length of the city on the Sir Donald Bradman Drive and through the suburbs to West Beach. Plenty of shops, a large beach and a marina to enjoy. At 6pm the Choir walked to the Adelaide Festival Theatre, the venue which they first conquered in 1986 and returned to again in 1999. Its impressive auditorium with its bright red and natural wood interior provided a memorable location for another successful evening performance before 1,400 people.
The following day was exhausting. At 7am choristers boarded a Qantas flight to Melbourne 398 miles away and after two hours in the airport’s departure lounge boarded another Qantas flight for a 291 mile flight to Canberra, the nation’s capital. The choristers were taken directly to the Rudhes Eagle Hawk Resort on the Federal Highway, an isolated hotel on the edge of “the bush” with a lot of either dead kangaroos lining the highway, or plenty of live ones jumping across their path in the resort!
On reaching the Llewellyn Hall in the Canberra School of Music, the Choir rehearsed for an hour before the evening concert. Tonight the audience was enthusiastic and there was plenty of fun and laughter to be had with them. Despite the tiredness, another excellent concert was performed.
Another early morning start came on Thursday as the Choir flew from Canberra back to Melbourne where they settled in the Ibis Hotel at Victoria Market. At 4pm they headed for Geelong around 50 miles away for the evening performance at the Costa Hall. Tiredness had dissipated and the Choir gave another first-class performance of a slightly altered concert programme which remained in place for the rest of the tour.
Glorious weather welcomed the first full day in Melbourne for some sightseeing of Victoria Market, Swanson Street, the National Gallery, Flinders Street Station or even a cruise along the River Yarra. Boarding the coach at 4.15pm the Choir travelled to a familiar concert venue for the Treorchy team – Frankston Arts Centre. Tonight was an extra special occasion because the director of HVK Productions, Andrew Kay (who is also an Honorary Member of the Choir) was in the audience. The Choir once again gave its best in concert following which Andrew joined choristers for some late-night drinks at the Shakespeare Tavern before heading back to the city.
Another free day on the Saturday before the Choir boarded the coaches again at 5pm and travelled 40 minutes to Monash University. Tonight ABC Productions were recording the concert and hope to produce a live CD from the items recorded in a total of three concerts throughout the tour.
Sunday was another free day in the city before a short drive at 5pm to the stage door entrance of the Hamer Hall at the Victoria Arts Centre on the banks of the River Yarra. The Choir first performed there in 1986 and returned once more on their last tour in 2004. Tonight was always going to be a very important concert. Over 1,000 tickets had been sold and once again ABC recorded the performance for the forthcoming CD.
At 8pm the concert began and this was the finest performance of the tour so far. The whole balance and blend of voices in all sections was sublime and the audience appeared thrilled by every item. This was indeed a truly outstanding concert and as the Choir burst into "We’ll Keep A Welcome", choristers and audience alike found it hard to hold back the tears.
At 6.15am on Monday, June 1st the Choir departed Melbourne International Airport for Auckland, New Zealand, 1,630 miles away. This is the furthest the Choir had ever been from home and that was foremost in the choristers' minds as they enjoyed the short journey into the uncharted territory of the country’s largest city. Settling in to the beautiful accommodation of the Heritage Hotel on Hobson Street, the choristers soon found a new “home” in the Muddy Farmer Irish bar next door!
On the first full day in New Zealand, many of the choristers wandered over to the Sky Tower on the corner of Victoria and Federal Street that totally dominates the Auckland skyline. It towers 1076 feet high – making it the tallest free-standing structure in the Southern Hemisphere and the 12th tallest member of the World Federation of Great Towers. The funniest moment came when many choristers settled into the café bar for a morning tea and as they looked through the window a rope dropped and a man undertook the Sky Jump, a 192-metre jump from the observation deck which can reach 53mph as you head towards the street 60 storeys below. At a second glance this hovering spectacle turned out to be none other than Jeff Priday! The bravery of the second tenor!

Australia & NZ 2009: Text
Reaching the south island.jpg

At 5.30pm the Choir walked to Auckland Town Hall on Aotea Square, a venue better known as The Edge. The Italian renaissance style building is home to the Great Hall, regarded as one of the finest concert halls (acoustically) in the world. It was in such magnificent surroundings that the concert took place. This was another triumphant and deeply emotional evening of music. History was made this evening as this was the first concert given by the Treorchy Male Choir in New Zealand and Dean Powell was quick to tell the audience that if it wasn’t for their country, then there may never have been a Choir. The reason, quite simply, is that the original group of men who sang "Myfanwy" in the Red Cow in Treorchy in 1883 and won £1 for their efforts, had only gone there to sing a few songs at a farewell part for a fellow collier who was emigrating to New Zealand!
It was also a momentous performance in that the Choir gave their first public rendition of the New Zealand National Anthem, "God Defend New Zealand" in both English and Maori. The audience certainly appreciated it.
After only a few short hours of sleep, it was time to enjoy some breakfast – in the company of the current All Blacks Team and none other than former Welsh coach Graham Henry! What a send off as the Choir bade a very fond farewell to Auckland and began a wonderful journey through the north island of New Zealand to the nation’s capital of Wellington.
This 11-hour journey of 647 miles took the Choir through the most breathtaking of landscapes as the two coaches wound their way along the main Freeway 1 through the Franklin District, Huntly, Hamilton and eventually to the beautiful little village of Tirau where they stopped for a break.
At Huka Falls the buses stopped for the touring party to see the sheer volume of tumultuous waters that cascade under one of several bridges spanning the river Waikota that drains Lake Taupo. The deep blue waters of New Zealand’s largest fresh-water lake were surrounded by tall snow-capped mountains, providing a viewpoint unlike any other. The area, known as the “central plateau” of the north island is dominated by the snow-covered volcanic mountains of Mount Ruahepu, Nghauruhoe and Tongariro which are all part of Tongariro National Park.
A brief stop in Huntersville, then the coaches were on their way for the final leg of the journey towards Palmeston North and finally to the capital city of Wellington where the Choir was booked into the West Plaza Hotel. The following day was free and the coach driver offered to take the Choir on a short tour of the city for photographs outside the main Parliament and Governmental building. From there it was to the top of Mount Victoria, whose summit is about 700ft above sea level, giving a panoramic view of Wellington, surrounding hills and looking out into the Cook Straight.
For the remainder of the day some of the choristers settled into Molly Malone’s Irish Bar to watch a rugby game while others explored Cuba Street and all the shops and eateries. Later they reunited at the West Plaza Hotel and decided to spend the next few hours in the luxurious Blend Bar next door – even though there was a strict curfew of 9pm imposed by the Conductor!
On the following morning the choristers departed the hotel at 6am for a short journey to the New Zealand Television Studios in Lambton Quay. They were ushered into Studio One to film two songs for the Good Morning New Zealand television breakfast programme. With a few brief rehearsals, the Choir recorded "Llef" and "You Raise Me Up" and within half an hour it was all completed. Jan and Dean were interviewed by presenter Simon Grey.
Much of the day was again free and many of the choristers visited the very impressive Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa. Telling the complete history of this magnificent country, its indigenous people and the arrival of Captain Cook and the subsequent settlers, it was a sight not to be missed.
At 5pm the Choir headed to the St James Theatre in the heart of Wellington. This Edwardian theatre built in 1912 and once the largest vaudeville and picture theatre in the country provided a first class venue for evening’s performance before a sell-out audience of 950 people. Treorchy’s second concert in New Zealand was another outstanding success. The audience once again proved to be quite remarkable and by the roar of the applause and the stamping of feet following the performances, it was obvious they were having a great time. For some items, the applause actually took place at both the start and the end of the piece. That was astonishing.

Australia & NZ 2009: Text

Saturday, June 6th was another early morning start as the Choir left Wellington by 7am and travelled to the local Interislander Ferry Terminal at Port Nicholson to board the Kaitaki Ferry bound for the south island. The three-and-a-half-hour cruise took choristers through some of the country’s most breathtaking scenery to the harbour town of Picton. The journey took the group through the most gorgeous fordes into Tory Channel at West Head and all the way along past the many bays, including Blackwood, Kumutoto, Walkawa and Whatomango until they reached Shakespeare Bay and Picton Harbour.

On arrival at Picton the Choir continued to head south, once again mesmerised by the snow-covered mountains, the deep blue and turquoise sea and the many natural beauties of this country. They followed the road for the

four-hour journey south through the island and stopped to take pictures of the seals playing on the rocks. The journey concluded at the city of Christchurch and the accommodation for the next few days was the Copthorne Hotel. Later that evening the choristers reconvened at Baileys Irish Bar and The Holy Grail Sports Bar in the centre of the city.

The concert on the following day was held in the Christchurch Town Hall, a modern spectacle with its deep red seats, huge balconies, organ and majestic acoustics. The 2pm concert was another outstanding success and the audience was one of the best yet as it responded so well to every song, joke and snippet of information. This was of course the last performance in New Zealand and the audience applauded introductions of songs even before they began. All told, this was again a simply marvellous performance. It was also a pleasure to learn that in the audience was former All Blacks player Dennis Young.

Immediately following the concert Gareth Evans called all the choristers into the dressing room and gave them the very sad news of the death of Robert “Bob” Griffiths. He read a eulogy which explained Bob’s role in the Choir. It was followed by a minute’s silence and then the performance of Arglwydd Mae Yn Nosi.

A 3am early morning call saw the choristers depart Christchurch on a New Zealand Airways flight to Sydney, Australia three hours away. On board, the captain of the craft had great delight in announcing to the passengers: “Should our entertainment system fail today, then I’m sure the members of the Welsh Treorchy Male Choir will entertain you!”

Settling into the Travelodge on York Street, choristers took the opportunity to go “walkabout” once more, with many visiting the famous Harbour with its impressive bridge and awe-inspiring Opera House. Later that afternoon they left for Sutherland, an affluent area between Botany Bay and Port Hacking. The venue for the evening concert was the Sutherland Entertainment Centre. The auditorium was packed with 950 tickets sold and it had all the makings of a triumphant concert ahead. The Choir returned to the hotel by midnight and the 23-hour day was over.

Visiting Manly.jpg
Australia & NZ 2009: Text

On Tuesday many of the choristers walked down to Sydney Harbour and boarded the Manly Ferry for an impressive cruise. Taking in views of the Harbour Bridge (which chorister Jeff “stuntman” Priday was walking over today!) and the Opera House, they explored the harbour waters before reaching the lovely town of Manly some forty minutes away. The evening concert was held in the Hills Centre, Castle Hills.
Again a packed audience of very enthusiastic Choir fans greeted them on stage and it was a delight to meet our Honorary Member James Kelso (organiser of the 1986 Tour) who had come along. The Choir’s performance was excellent again this evening, and the audience were obviously ecstatic throughout the entire evening.
Wednesday June 10th was another glorious chapter in the history of the Treorchy Male Choir and an unforgettable moment in the lives of every singer on stage. They returned to the magnificent Sydney Opera House and took this iconic concert hall by storm. Words will fail to describe the incredibly emotional performance, the ecstatic response to each item by the audience and the deep feeling of pride, satisfaction and distinction to stand on that great stage. It was always going to be the highlight of the tour and without doubt the choristers gave of their best.

Sydney Opera House.jpg
Australia & NZ 2009: Text

The concert began at 8pm prompt and from the very first moment the choristers walked on stage, they felt confident that this would indeed be a night unlike any other. A thousand ardent Treorchy Male Choir fans were awaiting their arrival, with one couple flying all the way from Massachussettes, USA just to see the concert. The Choir gave a first-class performance from beginning to end, without a single flaw to the evening. Jan was a total inspiration, Helen performed brilliantly, David gave a resounding performance on the organ, Dean left them all laughing to their hearts content while Iona won the hearts of everyone in the hall with her beautiful voice. This was quite a team and it was indeed a night to remember.
Following the euphoria of last night’s events, it was hard to focus the mind on Thursday as they undertook the three-hour journey to the former mining town of Newcastle arriving in the Travelodge on King Street. The Choir spent the afternoon relaxing before reaching the Civic Theatre in the heart of the town for a 5.30pm rehearsal. Once again the choristers gave a very impressive performance and sold all of our CDs! Everyone appeared pleased and satisfied by the performance and the crowd, although quiet, still left the theatre full of deep appreciation and praise.
Another of those cruel early mornings greeted the Choir on Friday as they began the 5.30am start to the day with a flight to Brisbane in the state of Queensland and a three-hour bus journey to the town of Toowoomba where they were booked into the five-star Burke and Wills Hotel on Ruthven Street. The evening concert was held in the Empire Theatre, with its beautiful balconies, boxes, red velvet curtains and ornate stage. It had a very special moment at the start of the second half. For the past few weeks a small group of choristers had planned to make it something of an occasion because although she had tried her best to keep it quiet, many knew that this was Jan’s birthday.

Jan celebrating her birthday.jpg
Australia & NZ 2009: Text

The second half of the concert commenced as usual and just as she waved her hand at Helen to play the opening bars of "Cwm Rhondda" something totally different came from the piano. Later Jan herself admitted that she knew the piece of music from somewhere, but couldn’t remember the words! That is, until the Choir began to sing “Happy Birthday” and with rapturous applause Gareth Evans walked on stage holding a cake with lit candles. Jan’s face was an absolute picture and it made for a lovely moment in the Choir’s tour down under.
On Saturday the Choir undertook an hour long journey to the Riverside Hotel in Brisbane. Given the immense popularity of the evening concert, it was decided to hold a matinee performance also, with some of the proceeds coming to the Choir funds. Andrew Kay had also flown into town to attend the performance and make a sizeable donation of around $2,000 to the bar bill at the end-of-tour party! The choristers made the most of it!
The morning was spent in leisurely fashion before rehearsals were called at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) on the River Brisbane. The scene could not have been more perfect for such a major auditorium, which was undoubtedly one of the best concert halls acoustically in the entire country. Massive investment has also been made to the building, which improved the acoustics still further.
With such a perfect system the concert hall was filled with some magical sounds in the afternoon show and the audience were clearly overjoyed by the performance as they called for several encores during the latter part of the programme. For the next two hours choristers relaxed in the Green Room, enjoyed a full meal and basically recharged the batteries before the 8pm curtain call for the evening performance.
It would be impossible to say whether this was one of the finest concert performances by the Choir in its long and illustrious history. But for those men who stood on stage that night, in the glare of the spotlights, with 2,000 adoring fans hanging onto their every note, it was readily agreed that this was probably the best concert any of those present had ever performed. From the first note, the standard of the performance was just faultless. Jan Ball led her troops with an inspiring confidence that encouraged them to give the very best. Helen was superb as accompanist, while David’s performance of the Vidor’s "Toccata" resulted in a near standing ovation. As always Iona’s performance, particularly of "O Mio Babino Caro" broke the hearts of one and all. Dean kept the whole evening running smoothly with his witticisms and good humour. As for the Choir itself? From the delicate pianissimos to the rousing fortes, the blend of voices created one of the most majestic sounds.
Then there was the audience. And what an audience it was. A mass of red, with waving flags and Welsh dragons all around, the crowd brought many of us to tears with the thunderous applause for each and every song. It would be impossible to name every song that created this electrifying reaction, suffice to say that they all did in one way or another. But as always, "Pearlfishers", "Llef", "Les Miserables", "Cwm Rhondda", "Finlandia", "Abba", "Men of Harlech" and "My Way" received the loudest applause. When they sang "Nessun Dorma" they received a standing ovation from the entire concert hall audience. "We’ll Keep A Welcome" again brought the audience to its feet and with "Advance Australia Fair" and "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" to come, they left the stage with the sound of applause, stamping of feet and cheers ringing in their ears.
Walking into the Green Room was a deeply emotional experience. Choristers stared at one another through teary eyes, united in the common knowledge that this had indeed been exceptional. It was a feeling of exhilaration, yet none could cheer. It was also a deeply humbling experience and one of satisfaction that they had given their best in the name of the Choir. The end-of-tour party was held in The Fox Hotel close to the QPAC building. Andrew Kay ensured plenty of alcohol was made available as they crowded into the bar.

Australia & NZ 2009: Text

The final day saw the choristers spend the morning exploring Brisbane before the short journey to the Gold Coast Arts Centre. Another first-class venue awaited us and Jan inspired them once again. “We must go out with a bang on this tour”, she demanded. After a brief lunch in the Arts Centre Café, it was time to march on stage for the 20th and final concert of the tour of Australia and New Zealand. Any thoughts of the members feeling the effects of a lengthy, demanding tour, were soon dispelled because with the sound of the first rousing applause, choristers dragged the last ounce of energy to give a first-class concert performance.

The Choir once again left the stage to the sound of roaring cheers from the 800 in the audience and individuals felt satisfied another excellent concert had been performed. It had been something of a rollercoaster ride of emotions because although many were looking forward to finally returning home, they also felt a deep sadness that such an outstanding experience of touring both countries had now come to an end.

Looking back, this was indeed a happy and hugely successful tour. Despite the tiring journeys, the internal flights and the many concerts within such a short period, there is no doubt that every one had the experience of a lifetime. There are too many highlights to mention, but
understandably they all relate to individual concerts that stick out above the rest – the first night in Perth, the concerts in Adelaide and Melbourne, the first ever performance in New Zealand where they took Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington by storm. Then of course the return to the Sydney Opera House for a first-class night of hwyl and the epitome of the tour came at Brisbane’s QPAC. They had indeed done our very best to ensure the traditions of the Choir had been upheld and this tour was undoubtedly a lasting tribute to a distinguished 125-year history of which collectively Treorchy remains so justifiably proud.

To view the full tour report click here

Press Report

“It’s not hard to be won over by a group who nickname themselves the oldest boy band in Treorchy. The Treorchy Male Choir has a history going back 125 years. The current 50 Welsh choristers range in age from 30 to 80 and at the launch of their Australian tour at the weekend it was obvious they continue the tradition with great delight.

“Their slick performance included hymns, Abba numbers, operatic excerpts and pop ballads under the firm direction of conductor Jan Ball. The Choir was accompanied by piano with the welcome addition of organ for the rousing climaxes and good use of mood lighting.

“Items featuring soprano Iona Jones were sprinkled throughout, occasionally featuring someone from the Choir in a duet. Jones’ bell-like voice was bright and clear and equally attractive singing Handel and Abba. Compere tenor Dean Powell kept things moving and provided an interesting history of Welsh choral singing, as well as plenty of jokes about sopranos and Aled Jones. Powell’s description of the Welsh as good romantics caused a laugh. “We make good lovers,” he insisted, “just look at them,” pointing to the snowy-haired gentlemen sitting behind him in their dinner suits.

“One thing is for sure, the boy band knew how to sing. They are record-holding eisteddfod winners with a technique like a well-oiled machine: perfect diction, precise phrase endings and the ability to move from a whisper to a roar with organ-like immediacy.

“Whether it was "You Raise Me Up" or "Myfanwy", I didn’t tire of the sound. Their strength: the magnificent sound. The tenors had a clear, achinglysweet tone which contrasted with the mellow, husky warmth of the baritones.

“Together the sound was grainy and seamlessly blended. And when the Choir delived the masculine energy and pounding rhythm of African chant Senzenina alongside the tenderness of a Les Miserables medley, I had to agree; they really are the epitome of manliness.”
Rosalind Appleby, Perth Concert Hall

“Treorchy Male Choir – arguably Wales’ oldest “boy band”- stunned its audience as it delivered With a Voice of Singing at the Festival Theatre. Cymru is renowned as the “land of song” and the Welsh language contains its own in-built musicality which helps create some of the best choirs in the world. One of the most distinguished is the Treorchy Male Choir, and it is Down Under celebrating 125 years of music-making history.

“Singing a rousing range of music, ancient and modern, from traditional hymns such as "The Lord’s Prayer" and "Old Time Religion" to operatic classics such as Verdi’s "Speed Your Journey", Sibelius’s "Hymn From Finlandia" and Bizet’s "From Far Inside the Shine" to pop tunes such as Westlife’s "You Raise Me Up", the choristers' singing is of the highest quality. The choir simply relies on the stirring power of its 50 voices to squeeze every drop of emotion from the songs and the result is hair-raisingly spectacular. As amazing as the Treorchy sound is when it's charging along at full tilt, the choir is an amateur organisation. The members are either retired or hold down day jobs to make a living; apparently some of them are full-time gigolos kept by rich old ladies in Cardiff. These choristers sing because they have a passion for music and it shows in the power of their vocals.

“With a delicate touch on the piano, Helen Roberts’ expert accompaniment enhances the excellent singing, and Iona Jones is a guest soprano eminence. Her singing during medleys from "Les Miserables" and the Abba songbook is tremendous. As the choir builds for its traditional finale of My Way, it receives rapturous applause for the Zulu chant "Senzenina" and the rousing and vigorous "Men of Harlech". There is nothing like the sound of a Welsh Male Choir in full flight, and last night the Treorchy Male Choir proved that they are not only great singers but also great ambassadors for Wales.”
Stephen Davenport, Festival Theatre, Adelaide

Concert List

May 23 Performing Arts Centre, Mandurah

May 24 Concert Hall, Perth

May 24 Concert Hall, Perth

May 26 Festival Theatre, Adelaide

May 27 Llewellyn Hall, Canberra

May 28 Costa Hall, Geelong

May 29 Arts Centre, Frankston

May 30 Robert Blackwood Hall, Monash

May 31 Arts Centre, Melbourne

June 2 Town Hall, Auckland

June 5 New Zealand TV Studios, Wellington

June 5 St James Theatre, Wellington

June 7 Town Hall, Christchurch

June 8 Entertainment Centre, Sutherland

June 9 Hills Centra, Castle Hills

June 10 The Opera House, Sydney

June 11 Civic Theatre, Newcastle

June 12 Empire Theatre, Toowoomba

June 13 Queensland Performing Arts Centre, Brisbane

June 13 Queensland Performing Arts Centre, Brisbane

June 14 Arts Centre, Gold Coast

Australia & NZ 2009: Text
bottom of page